There is no doubt that the German lyrics of the Cradle Song are a mouthful, -- but don't shy away from giving it to your beginning singers because of that. At some point they need to be introduced to German, and ALL German songs are difficult for non-German speakers! Let them learn verse 1 first, and later, when they are more comfortable singing in Deutsch, ask if they'd like verse 2 or 3.
This video, featuring Esther Ofarim of Israel, is interesting to listen to because of her intimacy with German pronunciation.
Here are some different English translations... the first 2 examples fit the notes best, but the 2 verses on the right side of the page are very cute:
Download English translations of "Schlafe, mein Prinzchen"
"Schlafe, mein Prinzchen" works nicely as a recital piece with one verse sung in German, then one verse in English. A young student of mine recently sang Wiegenlied at our spring concert, changing some of the words of several translations to suit herself!
"Sleep, little darling, now sleep
Mother her vigil doth keep
All now is quiet and still
Hushed are the vale and the hill
All now in slumber doth lie
Bright are the stars in the sky
Angels a guard o'er thee keep
Sleep, little darling, now sleep.
Oh, sleep, oh sleep,"
were her words.
Though this song was attributed to Mozart for years, the actual composer is unknown, though some affirm it was Bernard Flies. Here is what Malcolm Wilson says, prefacing this next video of the Cradle Song beautifully performed on handbells:"For a long time Wiegenlied (Cradle Song) was attributed to Mozart (K350 - 1780). However it is now believed to be by Bernhard Flies from the theatre play 'Esther' written by Friedrich Wilhelm Gotter (17461797)."
In this video we hear the song performed on solo handbells by Malcolm Wilson accompanied by Lysbeth Wilson in Dunblane Cathedral, Scotland.
Now here is the lead sheet for Wiegenlied:
You can purchase it here for $1.75 USD, in any of the four keys offered. It comes with permission to make up to 3 copies.You can also purchase all four as a package for $4.75 USD. Again, the package comes with permission to make 3 copies of each song.
* It is available immediately as a digital download onto your computer.
* You don't have to download any new software into your computer in order to download this PDF. I don't know about you, but I detest clogging up my computer with yet another program I didn't know I needed. You just need a version of Adobe Acrobat or another PDF reader, which all computers come with. If you DON'T have Adobe Acrobat or a similar program, then you couldn't download any of my other PDFs either.
* You can print Wiegenlied on any kind of paper you want, and thus avoid the glare of shiny pages (so irritating for accompanists!). My shiny store-bought music always reflects my piano light, and I find myself ducking and weaving to play off of it.
*Write and make notes all over these copies, in red and other colors, without feeling you are spoiling your music for posterity. I hate messing up my music books, but learning the piece is always the first priority. These printouts will make great working copies.
* I give you permission to make up to three copies legally. Do I speak tongue-in-cheek? Not at all -- as music teachers, as music students, you know there are times when you need music RIGHT NOW and your only recourse is to make a copy of copyrighted music...or do without. (People do what they have to do, but there are consequences... Cheating...just a little...is hard on one's character. I believe this is one of the keys of political corruption, one little compromise after another. Not only that, but music teachers teach by example. What are your students learning from you about the value of the work of composers, arrangers, and publishers? Of the value of musicians in general?)
* Paypal, the payment system I use, is a secure and recognized payment system. You can pay by credit or debit card, or your bank account. E-Junkie delivers the PDF document,
working as a partner with PayPal...your purchase is guaranteed.
Wiegenlied with full accompaniment in D, 3 copies for $1.75:Wiegenlied with full accompaniment in Eb, 3 copies for $1.75: Wiegenlied with full accompaniment in F, 3 copies for $1.75: Wiegenlied with full accompaniment in G, 3 copies for $1.75: Wiegenlied Collection in all 4 Keys, $4.75:
Do you have a funny story about this music, or does it remind you of something you'd like to share with other readers? Do you have a question? We'd love to hear it!
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Arrangement for Choir
I'm looking for this song but with an arrangement for choir, Could you find one for me? Thanks Nurit Kaplan Dana: I have looked too, and been …
English lyric of Mozart's cradle song as I know them
These are the lovely lyrics sung to me by my late mother: Sleep little bird in your nest Mother is watching your rest While neath the moon's silvry …
Back from Wiegenlied to Beginning Voice for more free vocal sheet music
Back Home for more free sheet music
Incredible online actualtests psat helps you pass in certkiller gre dumps exam. We offer best quality testking asvab braindumps and pass4sure for your success in testking 642-813 braindumps