Jane Austen movies have some of the best English and Irish songs, and it was in the Jane Austen movie Emma (A&E, 1997) (with Kate Beckinsale) that I first heard this charming song. The beautiful Jane Fairfax sang just one verse of Wiegenlied, while Emma and Frank Churchill whispered and flirted.
There is no doubt that the German lyrics of the Cradle Song are a mouthful, -- but don't shy away from giving it to your beginning singers because of that. At some point they need to be introduced to German, and ALL German songs are difficult for non-German speakers! Let them learn verse 1 first, and later, when they are more comfortable singing in Deutsch, ask if they'd like verse 2 or 3.
This video, featuring Esther Ofarim of Israel, is interesting to listen to because of her intimacy with German pronunciation.
Here are some different English translations... the first 2 examples fit the notes best, but the 2 verses on the right side of the page are very cute:
"Sleep, little darling, now sleep
were her words.
Though this song was attributed to Mozart for years, the actual composer is unknown, though some affirm it was Bernard Flies. Here is what Malcolm Wilson says, prefacing this next video of the Cradle Song beautifully performed on handbells:"For a long time Wiegenlied (Cradle Song) was attributed to Mozart (K350 - 1780). However it is now believed to be by Bernhard Flies from the theatre play 'Esther' written by Friedrich Wilhelm Gotter (17461797)."
In this video we hear the song performed on solo handbells by Malcolm Wilson accompanied by Lysbeth Wilson in Dunblane Cathedral, Scotland.
Now here is the lead sheet for Wiegenlied:
Download free vocal music in key of D
Download Cradle Song in key of Eb
Download printable Lullaby in key of F
Download free vocal music in key of G And here is a version with piano accompaniment, almost exactly like the standard version played charmingly by Jane Fairfax in Emma (A&E, 1997):
This version is for sale.
You can purchase it here for $1.75 USD, in any of the four keys offered. It comes with permission to make up to 3 copies.You can also purchase all four as a package for $4.75 USD. Again, the package comes with permission to make 3 copies of each song.
Why Buy From Me?So why should you buy The Cradle Song from me, aside from the fact that music stores charge $3.95 for each copy (not counting postage or sales tax!), while I am only charging $1.75 for three copies?
* It is available immediately as a digital download onto your computer.
* You don't have to download any new software into your computer in order to download this PDF. I don't know about you, but I detest clogging up my computer with yet another program I didn't know I needed. You just need a version of Adobe Acrobat or another PDF reader, which all computers come with. If you DON'T have Adobe Acrobat or a similar program, then you couldn't download any of my other PDFs either.
* You can print Wiegenlied on any kind of paper you want, and thus avoid the glare of shiny pages (so irritating for accompanists!). My shiny store-bought music always reflects my piano light, and I find myself ducking and weaving to play off of it.
*Write and make notes all over these copies, in red and other colors, without feeling you are spoiling your music for posterity. I hate messing up my music books, but learning the piece is always the first priority. These printouts will make great working copies.
* I give you permission to make up to three copies legally. Do I speak tongue-in-cheek? Not at all -- as music teachers, as music students, you know there are times when you need music RIGHT NOW and your only recourse is to make a copy of copyrighted music...or do without. (People do what they have to do, but there are consequences... Cheating...just a little...is hard on one's character. I believe this is one of the keys of political corruption, one little compromise after another. Not only that, but music teachers teach by example. What are your students learning from you about the value of the work of composers, arrangers, and publishers? Of the value of musicians in general?)
* Paypal, the payment system I use, is a secure and recognized payment system. You can pay by credit or debit card, or your bank account. E-Junkie delivers the PDF document,
working as a partner with PayPal...your purchase is guaranteed.
Tip for PrintingOnce you've got the PDF file for the Wiegenlied/Cradle Song, feed just one page at a time, unless you know you have high-quality paper which won't grab extra sheets when being pulled through the feeder.
Wiegenlied with full accompaniment in D, 3 copies for $1.75:Wiegenlied with full accompaniment in Eb, 3 copies for $1.75: Wiegenlied with full accompaniment in F, 3 copies for $1.75: Wiegenlied with full accompaniment in G, 3 copies for $1.75: Wiegenlied Collection in all 4 Keys, $4.75:
Do you have a funny story about this music, or does it remind you of something you'd like to share with other readers? Do you have a question? We'd love to hear it!
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
English lyric of Mozart's cradle song as I know them
Arrangement for Choir
Back from Wiegenlied to Beginning Voice for more free vocal sheet music
New! CommentsHave your say... Leave me a comment in the box below.
Useful Sites for VocalistsArtSongCentral, source of much free vocal literature
Cantorian.org, home to free classical sheetmusic
ChoralWiki, Home of the Choral Public Domain Library
International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP) Petrucci Music Library
Musicnotes.com - transpose vocal sheets up or down!
Note-Perfect.com, Resources for Choral Singers and Soloists - hear your part!
You are awesome. Thank you. I'm a voice and piano teacher and to have so many pieces in one place- for many different levels- is a Godsend. Thank you for the time and effort you have put in to make this so easily available to all of us stressed music teachers!!!
What's New at Sheetmusicplus
THIS SITE IS AMAZING!!... Thank you so much for your hard work getting these on the web, you have made many children very happy!!
Thank you for the free downloads! I'm a private teacher and I teach piano and beginner voice as well. :) I've been running my studio for about a year and I've come across the same issue; I don't want my students to have to purchase an entire supplemental book for only a couple of songs. So thank you for this site...some great downloads!!
AH!!!!! I am so happy to find a helpful site like this. I started to give piano lessons to one little girl from church and two girls requested voice lessons this spring. Since then, word got out and going into the fall I have 18 students. I am so excited, but I'm running out of materials that they can borrow, and I, like you hate telling the parents to buy morebooks. Because I have such a diverse group of students I spend SO much time making supplemental material and I feel like I have to pick through other websites, to only find one or two useful things. I am so thankful for the wealth of supplement that you have offered here! And it's all SO user friendly!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
Over 60,000 digital sheet music titles!