Free vocal music "Three Little Maids from School" from Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado." Perfect for a beginning vocal trio or ensemble, though experienced choirs enjoy singing this song too. Most of the lines are unison, with short bursts of 3-part harmony, like bird song...
So... Here is a video from the well-made and thoughtful "Topsy-Turvy," a film about how The Mikado came about...
The movie provides a delightful but serious glimpse into Victorian England, the lives of professional musicians of the time, and of the Gilbert and Sullivan Company in particular. (I DO NOT recommend this movie to my students, because I know their parents would not appreciate the few racy scenes.)
Do you recognize the actress who sings the role of Yum-Yum? She is also Moaning Myrtle, from the Harry Potter movies!
Here is page one of the free vocal music for the vocal parts of "Three Little Maids" (if you want to buy the vocals-plus-piano accompaniment for only $2.75, please go further down the page):
Successful execution of this delightful, short vocal ensemble will demand excellent articulation and lots of controlled ENERGY from your singers! The quick leaps to high notes will be good practice for their intonation skills as well.
For classical music, the harmonies here are mostly very basic, utilizing the I, IV, and V7 chords. A tiny bit of apparent dissonance comes along with the V7 harmonies where the vocalists are singing a second interval... this is easier to do in a group of multiple singers than with just three, since each part will have other voices to help out!
Three Little Maids with Piano Accompaniment
Now here is the delightful piano accompaniment with vocal parts, for this free vocal music from The Mikado. Pages 1, 2, 5, and 7 are shown below. You can purchase this seven-page standard arrangement for $2.75:
Buy Three Little Maids from School with piano accompaniment, 5 copies:
Buy Three Little Maids from School with piano accompaniment, 5 copies for $2.75 USD:
If you have questions or doubts about the quality of the file, please visit other pages on my site where music is free to download. My graphic program, unfortunately, cannot show the beauty of these pages!
So why should you buy "Three Little Maids" from me, aside from the fact that music stores charge more for just one copy (not counting postage or sales tax!), while I am only charging $2.75 for the right to print five copies? (One for each vocalist/part, one for the pianist, and one for a potential director, if the pianist is not the director!)
• It is available immediately as a digital download onto your computer.
• You don't have to download any new software into your computer in order to download this PDF. I don't know about you, but I hate clogging up my computer with yet another program I didn't know I needed. You just need a version of Adobe Acrobat or another PDF reader, which all computers come with. If you DON'T have Adobe Acrobat or a similar program, then you couldn't download any of my other PDFs either.
• The notes and lyrics are a little bigger than the copies currently available in music stores, making reading easier!
• Speaking of reading the music, you can print this music on any kind of paper you want, and thus avoid the glare of shiny pages (so irritating for accompanists!).
•Write and make notes all over these copies, in red and other colors, without feeling you are spoiling your music for posterity. I dislike messing up my music books, but learning the piece is always the first priority. These printouts will make great working copies.
• Do you need a letter of permission in order to use this music at a competition? Write me through the Contact Me form, and I will email you a personal letter.
• I give you permission to make up to five copies legally. Do I speak tongue-in-cheek? Not at all -- as music teachers, as music students, you know there are times when you need music RIGHT NOW and your only recourse is to make a copy of copyrighted music...or do without. (People do what they have to do, but there are consequences... Cheating...just a little...is hard on one's character. I believe this is one of the keys of political corruption, one little compromise after another. Not only that, but music teachers teach by example. What are your students learning from you about the value of the work of composers, arrangers, and publishers? Of the value of musicians in general?)
• PayPal, the payment system I use, is a secure and recognized payment system. You can pay by credit or debit card, or your bank account. E-Junkie delivers the PDF document, working as a partner with PayPal...your purchase is guaranteed.
Tip for Printing:
Once you've got the PDF file for "Three Little Maids" sheet music, feed just one page at a time, unless you know you have high-quality paper which won't grab extra sheets when being pulled through the feeder.
Buy Three Little Maids from School with piano accompaniment, 5 copies for $2.75:
This song is really cute, and you will love teaching it!